Monday, November 9, 2009

Sally Garden

A sorrowful tune I liked to hum to myself when I was a melancholy teenager, moping around my meager album collection that I stacked up on the hi-fi, was Sally Garden. I haven't thought of this Irish tune in years, but when I was looking for the lyrics of The Ash Grove for last week's sound track, I stumbled on this treasure. I remember feeling a bit cloddish because little feet seemed to be something a lovely woman should have, and my gun boats were contradictory. I wouldn't cross the Sally Garden—I would plod across it, and I would leave tracks in my muddy wake.



And just in case you'd like to be sorrowful for a few minutes, here are the lyrics:

It was down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
She crossed the Sally Gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree,
But I was young and foolish, and with her did not agree.

In a field down by the river, my love and I did stand
And on my leaning shoulder, she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy , as the grass grows on the weirs
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.

Down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
She crossed the Sally Gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree,
But I was young and foolish, and with her did not agree.

1 comment:

annganda said...

i do hope i could have a copy of this.. i love to listen to this..